INDOOR MUSHROOM CULTIVATION:
SPORE PRINTS TO FRUITING BODIES
THIS COURSE IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN RUNNING DECEMBER, 2018.
TO HEAR ABOUT PRE-REGISTRATION OPPORTUNITIES WHEN THEY ARE ANNOUNCED,
JOIN OUR EMAIL LIST.
Designed for the beginner as well as the experienced grower, this extensive course will guide you through a wide variety of skills for cultivating large crops of gourmet and medicinal mushrooms on both the home and farm scale. Through a variety of hands-on activities, this course will teach you not only the life skills of fruiting mushrooms and growing mycelium (spawn), but also how to integrate fungi into any regenerative urban or rural lifestyle. Underlying these skill you will also learn the ever-important why of cultivation: fungal growth requirements that define and demystify the art. This combination of concepts and skills will leave you well-equipped with the design principles and effective growing protocols for adapting any mushroom cultivation project to fit your needs.
Using an easy-to-follow format and an emphasis on practices that minimize waste, cost, and complexity, this class will leave you empowered to start cultivating mushrooms anywhere and on any budget. So whether you want to grow your own nutrient-dense mushrooms for food or as a potent natural medicine, or you plan to start a mushroom-based business, this course will cover the skills you need to hit the ground running.
— TOPICS COVERED —
- Fungal biology and ecology
- The history of mushroom cultivation
- Designing, making, and improvising tools and infrastructure
- Planning and scheduling cultivation regimens to save time
- Lab and fruiting environment designs for home-, farm-, or community-scale projects
- Agar-based methods for cloning and propagating wild and store-bought species
- Creating and working with spore prints and syringes
- Strain development strategies
- Working with straw, compost, manure-based substrates
- Wood-based spawn production strategies
- Place-based resource management
- Cultivating with appropriate (sustainable) technologies
- Whole system cultivation design principles
- Advanced cultivation techniques
- Suggested areas for future development
This course is ideal for anyone wishing to take their cultivation skills beyond the basics covered in our introduction course. It is also an ideal complement to those interested in food production, sustainable resource management, natural medicine production, herbalism, and general mycological studies.
— THIS COURSE INCLUDES —
- 1-year of streaming access to 10 hours of UHD video coursework (including a blend of blackboard work, explanatory animations and images, technique demonstrations, and videos in the field)
- Lifetime access to this class' section of the MYCOLOGOS® discussion forum
- Downloadable PDFs of course notes
- Project instructions and materials lists
- Certificate of completion (upon completing course requirements and final exam)
— ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR —Peter McCoy is the founder of MYCOLOGOS® and the author of Radical Mycology: A Treatise on Seeing & Working With Fungi, one of the most comprehensive books on accessible mycology written to date. For the last 10 years, Peter's unique approach to working with fungi has brought him to present to tens of thousands of people around the world. An internationally-celebrated and dedicated teacher, Peter's instruction model works to engage all modes of learning by offering a blend of visual presentations, live demonstrations, and hands-on practice sessions. For more information, see Peter's full bio here.
— SUGGESTED COMPLEMENTARY COURSES —
- MUSHROOM IDENTIFICATION: BASICS AND BEYOND
- GROWING FUNGI OUTDOORS AND OFF-GRID
- THE LOVE OF MEDICINAL FUNGI: HEALING OUR COMMUNITIES WITH MUSHROOMS, LICHENS, AND MICRO FUNGI
- MYCOREMEDIATION: DIVING DEEP
- PSYCHOACTIVE FUNGI: CHEMISTRY, HISTORY, LORE, AND MORE