for the First Time
This Course Is expected to begin running December, 2018.
To hear about pre-registration opportunities when they are announced,
join our email list here.
Mushroom growing is an ancient art dating back nearly 2,000 years. Though techniques have evolved over time, mushrooms still grow the same way and learning to cultivate these fascinating species is easier than ever before.
At MYCOLOGOS®, we believe growing mushrooms and benefiting from all that they offer should no longer be reserved for the big time farmer. Times have changed: the cost and complexity of high-quality mushroom cultivation is lower than ever before, so mushroom growing should be as commonly enjoyed as vegetable gardening. Many techniques have become nearly fool proof, requiring only a minimum of time and investment to master.
In this course, you will learn several of these simple, yet highly productive and cornerstone techniques for growing mushrooms at home.
— TOPICS COVERED —
- Fungal biology and ecology
- The history of cultivation
- The health benefits of gourmet and medicinal mushrooms
- Growing Oyster mushrooms on coffee and straw
- Inoculating logs with Shiitake, Oyster, Lion's Mane, and Turkey Tail mushrooms
- Installing a mushroom patch in the garden
- Liquid culture-based strategies
- Personal-scale fruiting environment design
This course is ideal for anyone wishing to readily bring the healing benefits of mushrooms into their lives without wanting to invest a lot of time or space in the practice. It is also an ideal complement for anyone interested in growing mushrooms for food or medicine, waste management, and to support general mycological studies.
— IN return —
When you join this course, you will receive:
- 1-year of streaming access to 10 hours of UHD video coursework (including a blend of blackboard work, explanatory animations and images, technique demonstrations, and videos in the field)
- Lifetime access to this class' section of the MYCOLOGOS® discussion forum
- Downloadable PDFs of course notes
- Project instructions and materials lists
- Certificate of completion (upon completing course requirements and final exam)
— About the instructor —
Peter McCoy is the founder of MYCOLOGOS® and the author of Radical Mycology: A Treatise on Seeing & Working With Fungi, one of the most comprehensive books on accessible mycology written to date. For the last 10 years, Peter's unique approach to working with fungi has brought him to present to tens of thousands of people around the world. An internationally-celebrated and dedicated teacher, Peter's instruction model works to engage all modes of learning by offering a blend of visual presentations, live demonstrations, and hands-on practice sessions. For more information, see Peter's full bio here.
— SUGGESTED COMPLEMENTARY COURSES —